Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Following Passions

In July 2011 I bought my first sewing machine. I had no idea how to sew, but I wanted to learn. I read the manual cover to cover. I read articles online. I watched youtube videos. I talked with people who knew more than me. I practiced, learned, figured it out. I started researching different fabrics, different fibers, different weaves, all things which affect how an item will come together and pe...rform. In October 2011 I started a little business making kids' clothing, and it is still thriving today.

All of what I described up there, that's unschooling.

Unschooling is discovering something you enjoy, something you're passionate about, and running with it. The things you learn, the amounts of information you absorb, are astounding when you have that drive, that passion behind it.

Right now Josh is passionate about legos and building and wiring his creations with motors and lights. We recently moved and all his sets got dumped into one giant box. He has spent the last week sorting through thousands of pieces to reconstruct each set. He is focused. He is less interested in watching tv or playing outside. Some people may look at the last week as all play and no learning, but I disagree.

He is following his passion. Right now his passion is legos. Next year it may be cooking. The next year it may be carpentry. And the next year, who knows? But I know that by following his passions he will lead a very full, satisfying, successful life

No comments:

Post a Comment