Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Playing Nicely With Other Parents

Our words are powerful.

Right now I want to talk about the power our words have with other parents. Especially when they're posted to the internet. They never disappear. They sit out there in cyberspace forever with the potential to be seen by billions, now and in the future.

I see so many discussions about parenting and children, and I see so many of them turn ugly. I think most of us have chi...ldren's best interests at heart, and all of us are misinformed or unaware of something. We need to keep that in mind when we're talking with people.

When we encounter someone who is misinformed or unaware of something we feel passionately about, we must strongly consider how we respond. When I feel attacked or judged, my first reaction is to dig my heels into my position and get defensive, no matter how compelling any evidence presented may be. A negative tone can completely negate any supportive evidence. If I'm feeling particularly offended, I may even go off on a rant somewhere else about how great I think my position may be.

Let's keep the ultimate goal in mind- the very best for all children. Judgment and condescension aren't going to encourage parents to make better choices. Understanding and support are much more encouraging. Make love, not mommy (and daddy) wars.See More

No comments:

Post a Comment