Tuesday, January 29, 2013

We All Slip Up

A reminder that we all slip up...

 Josh was playing with his friends and told me he was going to Bob's house. Bob comes over later looking for Josh. Obviously, I'm upset to learn he is not where he told me he would be. Bob and I walk up the street looking for Josh, find him, and Josh and I come home. I'm very frustrated because I've been lied to.

Me: "Where were you? You told me you were going t...o Bob's and you didn't!"

Josh: "I was in the area between Bob's house and his neighbor! We were playing this game...It's very NEAR Bob's house!"

Me: "But it ISN'T Bob's house! The agreement is you get to go places if you tell me where you are. You lied to me. You're staying home the rest of the night."

Josh: "WHAT?! But I didn't lie! I was VERY NEAR Bob's house!"

Me: "Not the same thing. Now sit down and eat your dinner! (plopping bowl of potato soup in from of him)"

 Josh: "I don't want this."

Me: "Too bad, you're eating it."

 Josh: "Moooooom! I don't want this! You're not supposed to make me eat things or make me do things! (obviously getting emotional) We talked about this! What is going ON with you?! Why are you doing this?!"

Me: (taking a minute to gain my composure) "You know what, you're right. I'm sorry. I'm very frustrated because you weren't where you told me you'd be, and I got worried when your friend didn't know where you were either. That's why I'm acting like this."

 Josh: "I'm sorry I wasn't more specific..."

 Me: "I forgive you. Remember this next time, okay? I'm sorry I'm being rude. Would you like something else for dinner?"

Josh: "Its okay, Mama. I forgive you. I'm sorry I made you worry. I don't really want soup for dinner."

Me: "Okay, but I would like it if you'd try it at least."

 Josh: (takes bite) "Its good, but I think I'll make myself a sandwich instead."

Me: "Alright." And we enjoyed dinner together. We all make mistakes, but its up to us to show our kids by example how to own up to them, apologize, and do better with what we've learned. We also have to set the example for understanding and forgiveness. Its really hard to live up to the expectations we set for our kids sometimes. "

No comments:

Post a Comment