Tuesday, January 29, 2013

On Co-Sleeping

I think it's safe to announce that Josh is officially sleeping in his own room now.

 Before, we lived in a two bedroom condo and all four of us slept in the master. The second room was used as a playroom. It worked really well.

 Over the summer we moved to a place where the kids can each have their own room separate from us. Bug has never liked sharing a bed, he's a ninja roller and light sleepe...r (believe me, I've tried to get him to cosleep) so he likes this just fine. But Josh wasn't quite ready, and that was just fine too.

 I joked that he was a nomad, sometimes sleeping on the couch, sometimes in forts, but mostly he liked sleeping on a pallet in our room. That was until last week.

He started wanting to stay up a little later building legos,and it would wake me up when he came to our room to sleep. So one night he said, "I don't want to wake you, Mama. I'm going to sleep in my room after I'm done playing." He must have slept well, because he's slept there all week now.

It's bittersweet for me. On the one hand, I'm proud that he's growing up and becoming more independent, but on the other I'm sad to see my baby need me less and less every day.

 And I kind of feel like sending a little "Ha! Take that!" to all the people who told me I needed to "make him" sleep in his own room because "that's just weird". He did it all on his own when he was good and ready

No comments:

Post a Comment