Sunday, August 4, 2013

What Tools are in Your Tool Box?

Many of us know we want to parent our children differently than we were parented. I personally never wanted to spank or yell at my children, because I remembered how it affected me when my parents used those tactics. Unfortunately I didn't arm myself with other tools before I had children. In the midst of a conflict, when I was left with no new tools for diffusing the situation peacefully, I fell back on what I knew, which was spanking and yelling. We have since found more peaceful ways to interact with our children. Our tool of choice is clear and effective communication, which takes practice, especially learning to communicate our feelings and frustrations before they escalate. What tools have you used and what sources have inspired you to find new ways to resolve conflict in your family? We can never have too many options.

No comments:

Post a Comment