Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Thoughts on Dignity

Yesterday we were walking out of the grocery store, Bug (2y) and I hand-in-hand. He doesn't walk very quickly, and so we slowly made our way out the doors and through the parking lot to the car. Then he slowly, painfully slowly for me to watch, struggled and climbed his way into his car seat, which still rear faces.

Through all this I was noticing the people waiting patiently behind us and the cars waiting patiently for us to cross the street, (I assume patiently, they didn't complain at least.) and it reminded me of the patience people show the elderly.

My great grandmother is in her 80's, health on the decline, struggles and gets around slowly. Although she could get around easier or more quickly at times with help from others, should would rather do things for herself. There is a sense of dignity from doing things for yourself.

I think often when we get caught up in the hustle and bustle of life, and we just want to get things done or get going, so we sweep our kids up instead of letting them walk themselves, or we pick them up to wrestle them into their car seats instead of letting them climb in themselves, we are robbing them of the dignity of doing things for themselves. No wonder they get upset.

No comments:

Post a Comment