Saturday, April 6, 2013

Keeping Communications Open

Josh (8y), Bug (2y) and neighbor Joe (7y) were playing outside earlier today. Bug wanted a hula hoop, and neighbor Joe said he'd get him one. I said "Thanks Joe!" and went inside.

A minute later Josh came in looking a little upset.

Josh- Mom, you don't say thank you to me when I help Bug with things, but you said thank you to Joe. That's mean to me.

Me- You feel that I don't appreciate the things you do for Bug because I don't thank you? You're feeling unappreciated?

Josh- Yes. And that makes me feel bad, like I'm not part of the family.

Me- It isn't my intention to make you feel that way. I am so sorry. Thank you for sharing your feelings with me. I'll be more mindful about this now.

Josh- Alright.

Me- I wouldn't have known how you feel if you hadn't brought it to my attention. Thank you for doing that. I'll do my best to thank you more often when you're helping.

Josh- Thanks Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment