Tuesday, April 1, 2014

My Interaction with Another Mom at Target

How many times has a stranger out in public made a snide remark about your peacefully parenting? I know it has happened to me and it made me feel so angry and so deflated at the same time. Tears of rage and embarrassment were barely contained long enough to get back to my car. 

Now how often has a stranger out in public said something positive about your peacefully parenting? For me, never. I feel like this has to change. We have to be more supportive of each other, our fellow parents, as we each make this journey.

While I was getting groceries last week I saw a woman with two small girls stopped in the entryway. One of the girls was having a bit of a meltdown, and the mom was kneeling down at her level talking her through it. We passed by, but later happened to walk by them again in the store.

I'm usually pretty shy, but I'm becoming more bold in my peaceful parenting advocacy, so I said, "Hi. Um, Excuse me." She looked over at me. "I just wanted to say it was really refreshing, seeing you being patient with your daughter earlier."

Tears welled up in her eyes. "Thank you. You have no idea how much that means to me. Its just so hard sometimes," she responded. Tears were welling up in my eyes too. "I know. It is SO hard. But it's worth it." She nodded. "Yes, it is." Then we awkwardly parted, not sure whether to hug each other or just say goodbye.

For all the patience, love, support, and understanding we strive to give our children doesn't it just make sense for us to treat our fellow adults the same way? Isn't that how we're hoping our children will still treat each other when they're grown? Let's be a good example for them, and show them kindness is not just for children. It's for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment