Thursday, January 23, 2014

Conversation About Anarchy

Yesterday Papa and I had a conversation about anarchy. What does it mean? How would things work? I have a lot more time than he does to read conversations on the internet and think about it. He's out workin' it, makin' bacon.

One thing that came up was how, in any transition period, there are going to be people and families who suffer. What about them?

Well, first of all, people are suffering now. Right now. The status quo is far from utopian. Secondly, if we are to ever enjoy a voluntary society- anarchist, libertarian, whatever you want to call it- we are going to have to bring back community. I see so much emphasis on "do whatever you want so long as you don't encroach on anyone else", but not enough (in my opinion) emphasis on helping each other out. I'm guilty of this in my own life. It's easy to get caught up in looking out for ourselves, being self-sufficient, and all that.

But shit happens to everyone. Yes, even you and me. No matter how much preparation and planning you do, you cannot plan and prepare for everything. And what kind of life would that be anyway? At some point we are all dependent on the skills, resources, or good will of others.

If we truly believe in a voluntary society, if we want to see it happen, we have to be willing to step up and help out. We need to take care of the people in our communities, in our tribes, and know they will be there to take care of us as well. If we hope to win the hearts and minds of others, if we hope to convince anyone that in a voluntary society people will look out for the poor and down-trodden, we have to be willing to be those people now.

I know I am not so eloquently spoken on this subject. It occupies much less of my mind than parenting and education. I'd love to hear Dissenting Opinion's opinion on the subject. But these are my initial reactions and feelings to what I read and hear. Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment