Thursday, May 1, 2014

Being 3 is Hard

If you don't know our backstory, we came to this whole unschooled peaceful parented thing when Josh was 6 years old. Before then he went to daycare, then public school, and we were generally bullies to him. 

That said, Bug is 3 years old and I have never parented a 3 year old peacefully. This is all new territory, and it is hard to navigate. This last week I've been becoming increasingly impatient with him and I've yelled a couple times. On the one hand I'm thankful that he is generally unphased by my yells. He just looks at me like, "What is wrong with you, Mom?" and goes about whatever he was doing. He is not afraid of me, for which I am very thankful. On the other hand it is so frustrating that he is unphased by my yelling because I do need his cooperation throughout the day in order to get certain things done.

I'm glad the yelling doesn't work because it forces me to get my head on right and find other means of working with him. But boy, oh boy, is this stage proving to be very hard for me. I want to share these struggles as a reminder that none of us have it all figured out. We are always growing and learning. And each of our children is their own individual who needs an individualized approach from us

No comments:

Post a Comment