Thursday, August 2, 2012

Unsupervised Egg Scrambling

Bug has been sick the last 4 days, which means I have been waking 3-4 times every night to help him. He's obviously been up at least 3-4 times each night too, so during the day he's very VERY cranky. I can't blame him, I'm cranky too. And I'm only sleep deprived, I'm not sick on top of it.

So this morning I did something GENIUS. I took a nap when Bug took a nap. I know, I know, obvious thing to do, but how often as parents to we actually take a nap when we're tired instead of check email, watch tv, or (heaven forbid) take care of our other kids. Bug went down for a nap at 8:30 this morning. You read that right, nap time at 8:30. So I felt much less guilty about leaving Josh to keep sleeping and play or whatever when he woke up.

Josh is such a good kid. He woke up and he must have known how tired I must be dealing with Bug (or, more likely, he's seen how grumpy I am when someone disturbs my slumber). He went out to the living room and did his thing, not waking me, save for one exception. He came in to ask me where the egg pan was. I told him it was in the dishwasher, clean, and he left.

I could only assume he was going to make eggs. I'll admit there was that moment of panic when thoughts of burning houses crossed my mind, but I laid back down and trusted him to let me know if something went awry. Nothing did.

He used a little recipe card I'd made him a few weeks ago outlining how to make scrambled eggs, including "turn off burner", and enjoyed some self scrambled eggs.

I'm really proud of him. He took the initiative to care for himself, and he now has the confidence that came with his success. I'm proud of myself too, for letting him do it instead of telling him to make a bowl of cereal or wait til I woke up to do it for him. Our kids are capable of so many things we don't always give them credit for. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment