Thursday, June 5, 2014

Some Tips for Having your Kid's Pictures Taken

Hi Everyone, I know it's been a while. Life is busy. Facebook isn't a priority. What can I say?

I wanted to take the time to post today about having your children's pictures taken. Papa is a children's photographer and there are things he sees all too often that really frustrate him. I wanted to share what I think would be his tips here, and hope he doesn't mind me speaking for him too much. 

#1. Do not force your child into the arms of a stranger.

I feel like that should be obvious, but apparently it's not. If your child/ren are upset or uncomfortable about taking pictures, don't force them. Not only does it go against everything you're (hopefully) teaching them about how they own their body, trusting their instinct especially in regards to other people, etc, but it's going to create fear around the entire process of having pictures done, meaning they will be fearful and anxious the next time you try too.

#2. Don't yell at, threaten, and belittle them in an attempt to get them to smile.

Doesn't work. Should be obvious. I know I don't feel overjoyed when people I love suddenly start barking orders at me while bright lights shine in my face. I'm betting your child won't either. Really, a set of portraits is not worth setting back your relationship with your child. It just isn't. A good photographer should be able to help your child feel relaxed and comfortable, and get them to laugh- capturing a genuine smile. If they don't, find a new one, but at least give them a chance.

#3. Don't talk about how terrible the pictures are in front of your child.

I can't even tell you how many proud children suddenly became heartbroken when their parents nit-picked their pictures. Remember, this is an image of your child. You are talking about THEM. If you don't like them, fine, but either wait until your child isn't around to overhear or choose your words carefully when discussing it with the photographer.

#4. Please don't place any worth on how well your child did for a camera.

The worth of a person comes from a lot of things. Let's teach our kids it comes from how they treat others, the choices they make, how they uphold their values. Not from how the photons bouncing off them flew through a lens to be captured. Again, your relationship with your child is much more important than a set of pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment